a countenance, unforgettable

One of the good things about being in a MNC was that we could easily involve ourselves in some community work. MNCs today consider 'Community Involvement' as one of their listed goals. This not only helps the company build a more favorable image but also to use it's gains in a more responsible manner. Inturn every individual associated with the company gets his chance to contribute to the society without really having to go out of his way.

One such opportunity we got was to celebrate Diwali at an orphanage in Pune. Volunteers were to organise competitions at the orphanage-school, distribute goodies and spend a day with the children. An enthusiastic set of us got together and made sure we make all the logistical arrangements in order for it to be a memorable day for the kids.

The day went as planned or even better i must say.The drawing competition brought out some wonderful creations. Imaginations soared high and that is what we had wanted ! 'Rangolis' were drawn about and bright colors soon carpeted the floor. It was a delight to see such talented hands at work. I couldn't have managed any of those rangoli patterns! The big draw ofcourse, was the song and dance sessions! This part shocked most of us. Some kids sang fearlessly and did well at that! while some danced unabashedly.

Where did they pick up all that music and dance from, I thought?! Well.. wonder how India would sound without bollywood?! But if this music gave these kids some joy.. why not! As I watched one really well choreographed dance piece , my hands got together to applaud the efforts of these children. These kids didn't need any though. Their energy just bounced about, everywhere.. brushing off on us too.

While all this happened around us, I found myself sitting next to a silent little girl. It was something about her eyes. Beautiful and big. Humble and Innocent. Expectant and fearless.I could look at them for long, really long. I noticed a chain around her neck and a key hanging about it as if it were a pendant. My curiosity led me to ask her, what the key was for. Her reply made me forget a lot of things for some time. I was not expecting that answer : "meri peti ki chaabi" (The keys to my suitcase).

That small little girl was carrying the burden of her belongings on her all the time. She was lost in a crowd of her own kind. She probably had no one to take care of her things, no one to take care of her, in the least. She probably had no more things than whatever was in her small suitcase. Had she no one to call her own as well? And upon that she was so small, so young.. she didn't yet know what life was and there she was.. solely taking on the sole responsibility of her life.

I didn't want to think further, I would have cried. I just stared at that girl .. in disbelief at life's cruelty, at life's inequality. There must be so many like her in this room, in this world. I as usual, wanted to do a lot of things at this point.. hug her.. hug her till she pleaded me to let go.. tell her i would be there.. to take care of her.. to give her all the love she ever wanted.

But ofcourse, I had the courage to do none. A momentary ray of hope could dispel her peaceful existence. She looked happy with her life though....whether or not, i would never really know.

I just smiled at her. Until she got bored of looking at me. She must have innocently wondered if there was something wrong with me!

I clicked her picture. But i was pretty sure, her's was one of the adorable countenances I might not forget for a while now. It's been a year since and I was right.

Comments

Moved.
Btw shame on you for stealing my template. Second , isnt this trip the one you also went for T******* and ended up singing romantic songs from the 60s with him??
Rag said…
hmmmm!! i was touched..!!
Seriouslyy.. A superb post..!!

You were so true about the innocence of that little gal.. tat final pic said it all!!
i guess this post sends out a serious msg...
aastha-inks said…
@surya.. who stole whose template now??! n please your second statement is absolutely untrue !!!
kuch bhi. wonder y u missed this 'trip' btw?
@raghav.. thnks..yea isn't she so adorable.. life na kabhi kabhi.. but life goes on i gues..
Cheeku said…
We end up remembering everything we did back there. I think if not anything else, this place gives us the opportunity to reflect on what we were and what we experienced back home! Very very well written. God bless you.
aastha-inks said…
u bet cheeku. thanks,god bless that little girl.
Anonymous said…
Hey, Good one. That's right and there are many more like her and its we who have to realize that and work collectively to spread happiness and joy in their lives.
Bharat said…
good one aparna!! you havent lost the sheen of blogging!!
Rag said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rag said…
heyyyyy aaastha!!!!! wru these days???? its been months since u posted anythin!!!
ashu@cooking said…
Appu.. its a wonderful post.. loved it.
awesome Aparna...!!! I loved this one.. V only read and sympathise.. but now I ask myself.. What have I done for them ever in my life so far?!!??!!!??
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Naguva Nayana (Smiling eyes)

Maana Ke Hum Yaar Nahin

Mummy's Garden